Retina, Macula, and Vitreous Specialist
Specializing in diseases and surgery of the retina, macula, and vitreous including macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, macular holes and puckers, retinal detachments and tears, floaters, retinal vein occlusions, uveitis, complications of cataract surgery, sutureless vitrectomy surgery, laser eye surgery, macular eye vitamins, etc.
Connecticut Eye Consultants, P.C.
69 Sand Pit Road, Suite 101
Danbury, CT 06810
TEL: (203) 791-2020 FAX: (203) 778-6238
Greater Waterbury Laser Eye Physicians & Surgeons
166 Waterbury Road, Suite 201
Prospect, CT 06712
TEL: (203) 758-5733 FAX: (203) 758-7400
State University of New York at Stony Brook
Stony Brook, NY
B.S Biochemistry with Honors
Johns Hopkins University
Class Rank: 14/114
Long Island Jewish Medical Center
New Hyde Park, NY
Wills Eye Hospital
VITREORETINAL SURGERY FELLOWSHIP:
Doheny Eye Institute of the University of Southern California
Los Angeles, CA
ACADEMIC TEACHING POSITION:
Clinical Instructor, Yale Medical School
New Haven, CT
HONORS & AWARDS:
- Principal Investigator for several clinical research trials for retinal diseases including the Diabetic Retinopathy Clinical Research Network (DRCR.net)
- Scientific manuscript reviewer for Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers & Imaging journal
- Scientific manuscript reviewer for Ophthalmology journal
- Scientific manuscript reviewer for Retina journal
- Castle Connolly Top Doctor Award
- Named Top Doctor by the International Association of Ophthalmologists
- Named one of “America’s Top Ophthalmologists,” Consumers’ Research Council of America
- National Eye Institute Travel Grant winner
- Barry M. Goldwater Research Scholarship winner
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Research Fellowship winner
- National Science Foundation Research Fellowship winner
- Academy of Physicians in Clinical Research - Fellow
- American College of Surgeons - Fellow
- American Academy of Ophthalmology - Fellow
- International College of Surgeons - Fellow
- American Society of Retina Specialists – member
- New England Ophthalmological Society – invitation-only member
- American Board of Ophthalmology - Board Certified Diplomat
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology – member
- American College of Eye Surgeons – member
- Research to Prevent Blindness – Ophthalmological Associate Member
- Connecticut Society of Eye Physicians – member
- Vit-Buckle Society - member
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society – member
- Association of Clinical Research Professionals - Certified Principal Investigator
- Kozak I, Vaidya V, Van Natta ML, Pak, JW, May KP, Thorne JE; Studies of the Ocular Complications of AIDS Research Group. “The prevalence and incidence of epiretinal membranes in eyes with inactive extra macular CMV retinitis.” Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2014 Jun;55(7):4304-12.
- Jabs DA, Ahuja A, Van Natta M, Dunn JP, Yeh S; Studies of the Ocular Complications of AIDS Research Group. "Comparison of treatment regimens for cytomegalovirus retinitis in patients with AIDS in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy." Ophthalmology. 2013 Jun;120(6):1262-70.
- Gangaputra S, Drye L, Vaidya V, Thorne JE, Jabs DA, Lyon AT; Studies of the Ocular Complications of AIDS Research Group. "Non-cytomegalovirus ocular opportunistic infections in patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome." Am J Ophthalmol. 2013 Feb;155(2):206-212.e5.
- Diabetic Retinopathy Clinical Research Network. "Randomized Clinical Trial Evaluating Intravitreal Ranibizumab or Saline for Vitreous Hemorrhage From Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy." JAMA Ophthalmol. 2013 Jan;31:1-11.
- Sugar EA, Jabs DA, Ahuja A, Thorne JE, Danis RP, Meinert CL; Studies of the Ocular Complications of AIDS Research Group. “ Incidence of cytomegalovirus retinitis in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy.” Am J Ophthalmol. 2012 Jun;153(6):1016-24.e5.
- Holbrook JT, Colvin R, van Natta ML, Thorne JE, Bardsley M, Jabs DA; Studies of Ocular Complications of AIDS (SOCA) Research Group. “Evaluation of the United States public health service guidelines for discontinuation of anticytomegalovirus therapy after immune recovery in patients with cytomegalovirus retinitis.” Am J Ophthalmol. 2011 Oct;152(4):628-637.e1.
- Scartozzi R, Tom D, Liggett PE, Flynn HW Jr. “Postoperative endophthalmitis caused by Candida parapsilosis: clinical features and treatment outcomes.” Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging 2011; 42: e37-39.
- Sezgin E, van Natta ML, Ahuja A, Lyon A, Srivastava S, Troyer JL, O’Brien SJ, Jabs DA; Studies of the Ocular Complications of AIDS Research Group. “Association of host genetic factors with the course of cytomegalovirus retinitis in patients infected with human immunodeficiency virus.” Am J Ophthalmol 2011; 151: 999-1006.
- Puhan MA, Van Natta ML, Palella FJ, Addessi A, Meinert C; Ocular Complications of AIDS Research Group. “Excess mortality in patients with AIDS in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy: temporal changes and risk factors.” Clin Infect Dis 2010; 51: 947-56.
- Jabs DA, Ahuja A, Van Natta M, Lyon A, Srivastava S, Gangaputra S; Studies of the Ocular Complications of AIDS Research Group. “Course of cytomegalovirus retinitis in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy: five year outcomes.” Ophthalmology 2010; 117: 2152-61. e1-2.
- Alasil T, Eljammal S, Scartozzi R, Eliott D. “Rhegmatogenous retinal detachment after a lower extremity dog bite: a case report.” Cases J 2008; 1:218.
- Scartozzi R, Chao JR, Walsh AC, Eliott D. “Bilateral improvement of persistent diffuse diabetic macular oedema after unilateral intravitreal bevacizumab (Avastin) injection.” Eye 2008; 23: 1229.
- Scartozzi R, Chong LP. Use of adjuncts in surgery and novel surgical approaches. In: Lim JI, ed. Age-related macular degeneration. Informa Healthcare, New York; 2008 (2nd edition): 295-302.
- Maguire JI, Scartozzi R, Sergott RC. “Asymptomatic patients with increased arm-retina circulation time (ART) may have underlying occlusive disease.” Retina Today; November/December 2007.
- Scartozzi R, Bessa AS, Gupta OP, Regillo CD. “Intraoperative sclerotomy-related retinal breaks for macular surgery, 20 versus 25 gauge vitrectomy systems.” Am J Ophthalmol 2007; 143:155-156.
- Scartozzi R, Tasman W. “Familial drusen of the optic nerve head associated with choroidal neovascular membranes.” Ann Ophthalmol 2005; 37:111-116.
- Shields JA, Shields CL, Scartozzi R. “Survey of 1264 patients with orbital tumors and simulating lesions: The 2002 Montgomery Lecture, part I.” Ophthalmology 2004; 111: 997-1008.
- Shields JA, Shields CL, Epstein JA, Scartozzi R, Eagle RC Jr. “Primary epithelial malignancies of the lacrimal gland: The 2003 Ramon L. Font Lecture.” Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 2004; 20:10-21.
- Scartozzi R, Couch M, Sciubba J. “Chondroid chordoma of the nasal septum.” Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2003; 129:244-246.
- Haltiwanger RS, Busby S, Grove K, Li S, Mason D, Medina L, Moloney D, Philipsberg G, Scartozzi R. “O-glycosylation of nuclear and cytoplasmic proteins: regulation analogous to phosphorylation?” Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1997; 231:237-242.